Muti cancels all January Chicago Symphony dates due to flu; will still lead orchestra on Asian tour
If you want to experience Riccardo Muti conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra this month, you’ll have to go to Taiwan or South Korea to do that.
The Chicago Symphony Orchestra announced Wednesday that the Italian conductor has canceled his Jan. 15-17 appearances with the orchestra. In addition to previously bowing out of this week’s programs due to having the flu, which was announced Monday, that means Muti has canceled all of his scheduled January appearances with the CSO in Chicago.
Muti, 71, is still planning to conduct the orchestra on the extended Asian tour, which starts January 25, said CSO spokeswoman Rachelle Roe. The conductor has already left Chicago and returned to Italy to “recuperate,” Roe said.
Edo de Waart will now lead the CSO program next week as well as this week, starting with tonight’s Afterwork Masterworks program. The scheduled works by Stravinsky and Busoni will be replaced by Mozart’s Symphony No. 41. Brahms’ Symphony No. 4 will remain on the program.